Manufacturing Day 2019 Workshop for Middle School
Purpose: Educate youth on the value of manufacturing, demonstrate how cool manufacturing really is and ultimately have more youth consider STEM careers as a viable option.
Target Group: We would like to target a diverse group of Middle School students. There should be a good representation of female and minority students in the group. We have found that students with less experience or interest in STEM are better targets and gain the most from the event.
Maximum Attendees: We can accommodate six teams. Each team consists of 5 members.
Location: C-Care LLC, 979 Corporate Boulevard, Linthicum Heights, MD 21090
Funding: InSource will provide lunch and snacks.
Registration: Complete this form to request more information
The event is a Manufacturing Camp where students learn about manufacturing and why it is a great career choice. Students receive only about 1.5 hours of presentation time. We intentionally designed the event to be more hands with minimal PowerPoint.
Students are divided into teams of 5. Each team will be given the same challenge which is to create a business that will develop a product and attempt to gain investors (think Shark Tank). The teams are divided into technical and business members. Technical members will program a device to accomplish a predetermined function. Business members will come up with a name for the business, create a logo and develop a presentation to convince executives of InSource/JTCC to invest. The entire team will agree on a the use case for their programmed device (i.e. their product). This will be the basis of the presentation developed by the business team. Each team will have a technical and business mentor to help guide them through the challenge. Each team will be scored on the completion of their technical assignment and on the quality of their business presentation. The winner is selected based on the best combined score (business and technical). However, other monetary awards such as gift cards will be given throughout the day.
- Welcome (5 min)
- Manufacturing in America – Presentation (25 Min)
- Manufacturing Challenge Overview and training (30 min)
- Manufacturing Challenge – Hands on Workshop (3 hours overlaps with lunch)
- Judging begins (30 min)
- Gaining the skills to succeed – Presentation (25 min)
- Awards, Wrap Up and Depart (5 Min)
- Photos and videos will be taken during the event. Therefore, waivers would be needed for all students.
- InSource will send out a survey prior to the event in order to baseline the students’ knowledge of manufacturing. We would like this returned prior to the event. Also, a survey will be taken at the end of the event to measure impact. Results will be shared with the school system.
- InSource will provide a continental style breakfast and a full lunch for attendees and volunteers. We will need information on any dietary restrictions.
Event Date: October 04, 2019 at 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM